Installation on others systems
Installing pre-required software
Before installing the EzWeb Platform, please ensure that you have already installed the following pre-required components on your machine:
- A Database Manager
- Python 2.4 or higher
- Drivers for both the database manager and the selected version of Python
- Django 1.0 along with the following Django Libraries:
- mod_python (only required if you are using Apache as the web server)
- PyXML 0.8.x or higher
Once you have installed the above pre-required components, you are ready to continue with the [installation of the EzWeb Platform].
You can use any Database Manager which uses the relevant Python Driver. There are many OpenSource Database Managers available on the internet which can be downloaded easily and come with their own documentation.
The most recommended OpenSource Database Managers are:
- PostgreSQL. Official Page
- MySQL. Official Page
- Python Driver. mysql-python
Python often comes pre-installed in machines using the Linux Operating System. However, if it is not already installed on your machine, or you are using a different Operating System, you can get hold of the most up-to-date version and documentation from the official Python website.
Django is a Web Framework, written in Python, used in the development of EzWeb.
Information regarding Django, including a step-by-step installation guide, can be found on its official website. The installation process also covers the database configuration process to ensure that the web server works with the Django framework.
Please note that the version of Django used in EzWeb is equal to 1.0. Lower versions of django will simply not work
Python additional libraries
The Django Framework installation process should also cover the installation of both the Database Manager Driver and Apache Server module.
To install the remaining Django libraries, simply add the appropriate code from the following links to the Python site-packages (typically found in /usr/lib/pythonX.X/site-packages/ on Linux Systems, or in C:\PythonX.X\Lib\site-packages on Windows Systems):
Installing the EzWeb Platform
To install the EzWeb Platform, please follow these steps:
- Download the EzWeb Platform from the SVN
- $ svn co https://svn.forge.morfeo-project.org/svn/ezwebplatform/ezweb_platform/src/trunk/
- Create the user and the database on your Database Server. This instructions depends on the server you choose.
- Configure the database for the EzWeb Platform – edit the settings.py file which can be found in the EzWeb root directory:
- DATABASE_ENGINE = 'postgresql' # 'postgresql_psycopg2', 'postgresql', 'mysql', 'sqlite3' or 'oracle'.
- DATABASE_NAME = 'mydb' # Or path to database file if using sqlite3.
- DATABASE_USER = 'user' # Not used with sqlite3.
- DATABASE_PASSWORD = 'pass' # Not used with sqlite3.
- DATABASE_HOST = '' # Set to empty string for localhost. Not used with sqlite3.
- DATABASE_PORT = '' # Set to empty string for default. Not used with sqlite3.
- Initialize the EzWeb DB:
- python manage.py syncdb
- Ensure that autogenerated resources exist and are up to date:
- Run Django development Web Server:
- If you are using the Apache Server, copy the platform files into the corresponding Apache directory.
- If you are using the Django Server, execute from the EzWeb root directory (where host and port are the machine and port, respectively, of the location where you want to open the platform).
- python manage.py runserver host:port
For a production-oriented installation, read our FAQ